At Durango Laser Dentistry, we encounter many moms who are frustrated they were not told sooner there was a tongue-tie issue with their baby. Many have been told to “wait and see” or that “it will resolve itself.” Neither of these will provide the solution you are seeking.
Luckily, Dr. Mason Miner was the first in the area to provide infant laser frenectomies to relieve tongue- or lip-ties and has been performing these procedures since 2013. He is the experienced infant frenectomy provider and has received education and training from Dr. Kotlow, DDS; Dr. Chris Mast, DDS; Dr. Bobby Ghaheri, MD; Dr. Soroush Zaghi, MD; and others.
A Simple Clip With the Scissors Is Inadequate
Many providers think the frenulum just needs a simple “clip.” A tongue-tie release requires precision to release the tissues and fibers adequately. It is very difficult to get a complete tongue release with only scissors in infants. Currently the training and education of tongue and lip ties is not typically included in the pediatric and dental curriculum.
Signs Your Baby May Need a Frenectomy
- Falling off of the breast frequently
- Painful for the mother
- Falling asleep within minutes on the breast
- Gassy/hiccups often after feeding, colic, reflux, vomiting
- Shallow latch, clicking or smacking sounds
- Gumming the nipple
- Lips do not flange
- Milk blister in middle of upper lip
- Low weight gain
- Frequent feedings/not being satisfied
- Gulping when taking a bottle
- Refusing the breast, prefers the bottle
- Unable to hold pacifier
What To Expect During an Infant Frenectomy
The most common reason Dr. Mason Miner performs an infant frenectomy is if your infant has a tongue- or lip-tie. If this is the case, our dentist will use a laser as a quick and comfortable way to remove the frenulum. This prevents the need to place stitches or make any incisions. Soon after this procedure, your baby can start breastfeeding again, leaving you with peace of mind as a parent.
Benefits of an Infant Laser Frenectomy
There are several benefits of infant laser frenectomy here at Durango Laser Dentistry for both mom and baby, such as:
- Improving your baby’s ability to breastfeed
- Forming a stronger bond between mom and baby
- Easing or eliminating gas and symptoms of colic
- Lowering the risk of breast infections
- No more pain while breastfeeding
- Stimulating milk production
Find Care for Your Little One Today!
Dr. Miner was the first in the area to provide infant laser frenectomies and has been performing these procedures since 2013. He is an experienced infant frenectomy provider and has received education and training from Dr. Kotlow, DDS; Dr. Chris Mast, DDS; Dr. Bobby Ghaheri, MD; Dr. Soroush Zaghi, MD; and others.
We invite you to contact us today at 970-247-2677 to schedule a consultation with our laser frenectomy dentist in Durango, Colorado.